1. There's always time to try something new! Mrs. Sutliff's brings yoga into the classroom, which is calming and fun for the students!
2. Use several methods to explain the same concept! For example, she taught the students to tell time with a small clock and with a number line, which although it sounds bizarre is very easy!
3. Give the students some freedom- allow them to have free times where they can read whatever they want and sit wherever they want. It makes them feel like they are very responsible!
4. Assign students to specific jobs so that they learn responsibility and it makes the teacher's life easier because she won't have to go do every little thing, like pass out papers.
5. Every once in a while, encourage the students to take a clean up break and have them go grab dropped supplies off the ground and put them away.
6. Transitions are so important! When Mrs. Sutliff intends to make a transition she first explains what is going to happen and then she splits the group into two, sending one to transition first and then the next group to transition after. One thing I would do as a teacher would be to play music and motivate students to speak softer than the music!
7. A simple thing, but have parents donate tubs of snacks, rather than each individual child brining in his or her own snack! This gives every student the same snack on the same day so that there is no more arguing!
These are just some of the things I am learning in Mrs. Sutliff's class, and I am having tons of fun!